Learn how to peel and deseed tomatoes quickly and with minimal equipment.
- Tomatoes, 1 each
- Rinse tomatoes thoroughly under cold water.
- With a sharp knife, score the bottom of the tomato with a shallow “X” incision.
- Place the scored tomatoes in a large pot of boiling water for 15-20 seconds.
- Remove the tomatoes and place them directly in a water bath and allow them to cool completely.
- Starting from the scored “X” on the bottom of the tomato, peel the skin down towards the stem until it is all removed.
- Use a sharp paring knife to cut around the tomato stem at an angle until it is removed.
- Cut off the top quarter of the peeled and cored tomato, then use a small spoon to scoop out the seeds.
Press the seeds and stems in a sieve to extract any extra juice. Or, save them to be used in your next batch of stock.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 seconds
- Category: Knife Skills
- Cuisine: Any
Keywords: How to peel and deseed a tomato, peeling tomatoes, deseeding tomatoes