Learn how to grate an onion for the classic onion-y flavor that melts into a dish without adding a lot of chunks and texture.
- Onions, 1 each
- Rinse onions under running water to remove any debris.
- Use a sharp knife to trim off the very top of the onion. Leave the root end intact.
- Use the flat top to stand the onion up and cut it in half through the root end.
- Peel away the skin and any bruised or damaged outer layers.
- Hold a handheld or box grater against your cutting board or in a bowl and shred the onion one half at a time, using the root end as a handle.
- Save the onion peels and stem for stock or discard.
If you don’t have a grater, rough chop the onion and pulse it in a food processor.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Knife skills
- Cuisine: Any
Keywords: how to grate an onion, grated onion