Learn how to dehydrate your sourdough starter for long-term storage or travel.
- Sourdough starter fed within 12 hours
- Line a sheet tray with parchment or a silicone baking mat.
- Pour your active starter on the lined tray and spread it into a very thin and even layer.
- Leave the starter uncovered at room temperature until it is completely dry and brittle, 24-72 hrs.
- Break the dried starter into shards or pulverize it into powder.
- Place in an airtight container and store in a cool dark place for months to years.
Speed up drying time by increasing airflow with a fan or increasing temperature staying under 100 F.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Drying Time: 72 hours
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Sourdough
Keywords: How to dehydrate sourdough Starter, Drying sourdough starter