Learn how to cut romaine lettuce for salads, stir-fries, and as a topping.
- 1 Head Romaine Lettuce
Thoroughly wash romaine leaves before making any cuts.
For Large Pieces
- Split romaine leaves in half lengthwise to form strips. Split them again if you want smaller pieces.
- Make cross cuts to make pieces the size of your liking.
For Thin Ribbons (Chiffonade)
- Create a stack of 2-3 similarly sized romaine leaves
- Fold or roll the stack into a long tube.
- Use your knife to make cross cuts as thin as possible.
Large lettuce pieces can also be made by tearing whole leaves by hand.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Knife Skills
- Cuisine: Any
Keywords: cutting romaine lettuce, chopped romaine lettuce, romaine salad