Learn how to prep lemons for any use in the kitchen and for maximum juice extraction.
- Lemons, 1 each
- Hold the lemon on its side and cut off the top and bottom.
- Stand the lemon up on one of the now flat ends and slice through the lemon just to the side of its core.
- Rotate the lemon and repeat the cut 2 more times. You should now have 3 lemon “cheeks” and a core.
- Scrape off any remaining seeds and use them “as is.” OR cut the “cheeks” into smaller wedges.
- Squeeze the core to extract additional juice.
- With your non-dominant hand, hold the lemon horizontally on your cutting board and cut off one end.
- Continue to make slices through the lemon using your non-dominant hand as a guide to determine how thick or thin each slice will be.
- To make half-moons, split the lemon in half vertically and place each half cut side down before making your slices.
- Hold the lemon on its side and cut off the top and bottom deep enough to expose the lemon flesh.
- Stand the lemon up on one of the flat sides and remove the skin and pith by cutting from top to bottom, following the shape of the lemon.
- After all of the skin and pith is removed, hold the lemon in your hand and make shallow cuts between each lemon segment. Follow the membrane between each segment to remove the lemon flesh.
- Squeeze the remaining core and membranes to extract additional lemon juice.
- If your lemon is in the fridge, remove it and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Firmly press and roll the lemon on your cutting board.
- Hold the lemon horizontally on your cutting board and cut it in half across its equator (side to side).
- Proceed to juice with your preferred method.
- First, cut your lemon into round slices that are ¼” thick.
- Lay the rounds flat on your cutting board and cut through one side of the skin.
- Use your knife to remove all of the lemon flesh, reserve the flesh for another use.
- Hold one end of the skin in each hand, pull almost taught, and twist your hands in opposite directions.
Before making any type of cut, rinse your lemons thoroughly under cold water
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Knife Skills
- Cuisine: Any
Keywords: How To Cut A Lemon, Cutting Lemons, How To Slice A Lemon