Learn how to prep and cut oranges for beverages, snacks, and everything in between.
- Oranges, 1 each
Before making any type of cut, rinse your oranges thoroughly under running water.
- Hold the orange in place on a cutting board and use a sharp knife to cut it in half vertically, going through the stem and blossom end.
- Place each half cut-side down on your board and cut each piece in half lengthwise.
- Stop there, or cut each quarter in half again for more manageable wedges.
- Hold your orange horizontally on your cutting board and use a sharp knife to remove one end.
- Continue to make slices through your orange using your non-dominant hand as a guide to determine how thick or thin each slice will be.
- Hold the orange on its side and cut off the top and bottom deep enough to expose the orange flesh.
- Stand the orange up on one of the flat sides and remove the skin and pith by cutting from top to bottom, following the shape of the orange.
- After all of the skin and pith is removed, hold the orange in your hand and make shallow cuts between each orange segment. Follow the membrane between each segment to remove the orange flesh.
- Squeeze the remaining core and membranes to extract extra orange juice.
- Trim and peel the orange like you would in steps 1 & 2 for suprémes above.
- Lay your peeled orange on its side on your cutting board.
- Use your non-dominant hand to hold it in place and use your knuckles as a guide to make orange slices that are as thick or thin as you’d like.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Category: Knife Skills
- Cuisine: Any
Keywords: How to cut an orange